What Constitutes Heresy?

Since Rob Bell wrote his new book, Love Wins, there has been quite an incredible amount of conversation about heaven and hell (which I conclude is a good thing). For many Christians though, this book also became the reason to label Rob as a heretic.

So what exactly constitutes heresy? I’ve been thinking a lot about this. I found the following list elsewhere on the internet:

1. Denying the divinity of Jesus Christ.[ Jehovah's Witness]
2. Denying the virgin birth of Jesus Christ.
3. Denying the incarnation.
4. Denying the doctrine of the Trinity [one GOD, three persons].
5. Denying the human nature of Jesus Christ [one person, two natures]
6. Denying the necessity of the death of Jesus Christ as atonement for our sins.
7. Denying the efficacy of the atoning death of Jesus Christ.
8. Denying the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ.
9. Denying the visible return of Jesus Christ in the Power and Glory of the Godhead.
10. Denying the bodily resurrection of all the dead.
11. Teaching that there are multiple god's in the universe. [Mormonism]
12. Teaching there are multiple ways to heaven (other than through Jesus) {I added this one}

Now of course I agree with this entire list, but here’s the thing – as far as I can tell – so does Rob Bell. What Rob is saying is that we might not be aware of all the possible ways in which someone can “come to Christ”. He brought up the OT, apostle Paul, (others too) and suggested that none of them ever said a sinner’s prayer. Check out this quote from page 115:

“Will everybody be saved, or will some perish apart from God forever because of their choices?
Those are questions, or more accurately, those are tensions we are free to leave fully intact. We don’t need to resolve them or answer them because we can’t, and so we simply respect them, creating space for the freedom that love requires.”

Basically he is saying, “you don’t know who’s going to heaven or hell, so quit being judgmental and starting acting in love.” He then goes on to suggest that people might get a 2nd chance after death (something I don’t personally believe), but that you could continue to reject Christ eternally. Does that make him a heretic? One of the damned? “Farewell Rob Bell”? Where exactly is the line you cross that makes your heresy damnable? If you choose to deny #2 or #8 on the above list, is that enough?

13 Response to "What Constitutes Heresy?"

  • Jim Says:

    I think this review summarized it the best so far. I think anything I write would just be repeating someone else on this subject

    http://www.challies.com/book-reviews/love-wins-a-review-of-rob-bells-new-book


  • Chuck and Shelley Says:

    The review from Kevin DeYoung on the gospel coalition website is the most fair and thorough i have read.

    Rob Bell has ALOT of influence on ALOT of people...I tend to worry he is leading some down a path that doesnt end with Jesus paying it all on the cross.

    I like that he makes me think and ask questions....he goes a step further in thos book in my opinion.

    Is he a heretic? Ill leave that up to God in a real judgement seat with a real place of eternal torment as the consequence. ;)


  • Jim Says:

    It scares me to wonder how many people are being lead down a path so that the Matthew 7:23 will apply directly to them. How many of them are sitting in the chairs at large churches today? Rob is certainly not helping them at all. I like Larry's question, paraphrased to "How far is too far" and in this case I think that Rob has jumped over the line


  • Craig Says:

    I love the comments about "stop being judgemental and love." Wait, I remember that from the 60's? Love is all you need. Love, love, love as the Beatle song went. Last week I stood on the spot where John Lennon was shot. Is love all he needed? I never hear a sinners prayer in the Bible either. What I do hear is repentance. And life changing action.


  • Larry Says:

    Jim - are you saying he IS or IS NOT a heretic? I enjoyed that review, thanks for posting it.

    Chuck - I agree that he has a ton of influence right now. I will say though that he's definitely NOT saying Jesus didn't pay it all on the cross. He's questioning the way you come to Jesus. He brings up Matt 25:31-46 where the sheep are "surprised" that they are sheep and didn't know they were. I am not saying I agree with him, I'm just pointing out what he is actually saying.

    Craig - great points about repentance. Do you think he is a heretic that does not have Christ?


  • Craig Says:

    Yes, very definitely a heretic. I think sometimes guy's want to get so deep they trip themselves up. The "broaden the gate" so to speak to attract more and wind up pedaling a false gospel. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But I do feel his messages is watered down.


  • Jim Says:

    Is he a heretic? That is between him and God but if his theology agrees with the book then it is a definite YES.


  • Larry Says:

    He believes Jesus is the only way to heaven - he believes there is no other way. He's just not so sure about how to determine all the ways that Jesus can choose to save. I think it's a little bit problematic that he makes a giant mess with these questions but doesn't bother to clean them up.

    I'm not so sure that's damnable heresy even if I don't agree with him. If you're not convinced of the virgin birth but you believe every other thing on the list above, is that damnable heresy? I would say "no" - you would just be doctrinally incorrect.


  • Jim Says:

    That does bring up the question, "How much bad or wrong information can you have about a subject before you don't event know the subject at all".

    How much can I know incorrectly about Larry before I am deemed to not know Him? In that case the ramifications are not eternal. But when applied to Christ I would much rather have my theology line up with the Bible to the extent I am able since the ramifications are eternal


  • Craig Says:

    Now we move into the area of very strong debate. What doctrine can we not believe In and still be saved? if you say that not believing in the virgin birth is just bad doctrine than you might as well argue that Mormons will be in heaven. They just have bad doctrine. I would never say Rob is not saved. But bad doctrine can give false security. It can distort the truth to the point that anyone can expect to be there on their own terms and what they screw up God will cover.


  • Larry Says:

    Craig – I guess this is what I’m asking. Where is that line? If someone sincerely believes Jesus is the Son of God and that He paid for their sin on the cross (and trusts in that payment), has repented and turned from their sin, but at the same time denies the virgin birth – are you saying that person isn’t saved? Actually the main problem we have with Jehovah’s Witnesses is that they deny #1 on the list (which is OVER the line in my estimation).

    I think I like Jim’s answer. How many things can you get wrong about me and still say you know me? In this group Chuck would know me best, but certainly Craig, Kevin or Matt would all say they know me and they would be right. Jim would know me well enough that if he heard “Larry said that Islam is the way to God” that he would know that isn’t true – but not well enough to deny “Larry is 6’6” tall”. Does that mean Jim does not know me?


  • Craig Says:

    Larry-I feel ya brother. I know what you are saying. But I believe there MUST be boundaries. if someone trusts in the saving power of Jesus like you say, but denies the virgin birth, he has placed his faith in a man. A prophet which is exactly what JW's believe. I had them at my door last month. They said they trust in Jesus as being sent from God to take away their sin. But that he is a man. That's why we call them a cult. Just enough truth to be dangerous. I don't believe you can make the analogy of how much do I have to know about you before I know you. There are all sorts of levels of knowing. I certainly knew my wife before I married her but I sure know her a lot more after 33 years of marriage. And I know more each day. At what level or point in time did I know her? You asked if someone can trust in the saving power of Jesus Christ but deny the virgin birth. I could never be dogmatic. I could never know their heart. But to deny the virgin birth is to deny deity and I can't fathom one without the other. If there is "genuine salvation" I believe there must be knowledge of who and what you are trusting.


  • Larry Says:

    That was a good answer – especially “If there is "genuine salvation" I believe there must be knowledge of who and what you are trusting.” Maybe you’re right, that would be a tough one to doubt and still believe that Jesus is God.

    I think there is some value in the “knowing you” analogy though. Look at Matt 7:23 that Jim brought up earlier. It seems pretty apparent that Jesus needs to “know” you.


Post a Comment